The Georgia Tech campus now features a sculpture by noted artist William Tucker. Titled The Rim, the circular steel sculpture is located between the Manufacturing Research Center (MaRC) and the Love Manufacturing building. Through a generous donation by Thomas G. and Ann D. Cousins, The Rim was moved from its previous home at the Bank of America Plaza to the Georgia Tech campus on November 5. The diameter of the piece is 14 feet.
Works by artist William Tucker can be found in galleries and at outdoor sites around the world. Born in 1935 of British parents in Cairo, he became an American citizen in 1985, around the same time that he created The Rim. The piece was on view in several American museums before being placed at the Bank of America Plaza on Peachtree Street in 2004.
In the early 1960s Tucker was among a group of young sculptors in England whose work made a radical break with tradition: their sculpture was abstract, constructed in modern industrial materials and placed directly on the ground, in contrast to the figurative bronzes on pedestals more common in the 1950s and earlier. His works are often made of steel and wood, though he has worked more in plaster that is then cast in bronze in his later years.
Among many awards, in 2010 Tucker received the International Sculpture Center's Lifetime Achievement in Contemporary Sculpture Award. He is a modern art scholar and writer. His work is held in many collections, including the Guggenheim Museum and the Museum of Modern Art in New York, and the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in Washington, D.C.